Friday, November 7, 2008

Special Day

Zoo Visit

On Thursday, I had the chance to spend the day at the Houston Zoo with Julia, her classmate Amy and the rest of her elementary school pals (grades 1-3), as well as her wonderful teachers, Ms. Heine and Ms. Drymalla. Normally, with my work schedule, I wouldn't have had the chance to volunteer as a chaperone. It's unfortunate that many of us, myself included, don't take a day out to experience this.

It was awesome. Every child is so aware, so full of life. After being a Houston Zoo Docent for nine years, I thought the kids would benefit from my great store of zoo facts and trivia. Well, that's what I thought anyway! I was the one schooled by the kids. They sure don't see the world as I do. They live in the 50% full and at least a 110% effort world. They may have slept all the way home on the bus, but in reality I was the most tired and the most educated. A truly enlightening experience. These are the days that make you aware of who, what and where.

I've been overwhelmed by the support for Julia from Dag's and my co-workers, friends, family and school. Her classmates/teachers from the Harmony School of Excellence have been incredible. Not only are they her educators, they are our family, too. From the volunteers that make sure the kids get out of the car safely in the morning, to the school's principal and teachers -- they all know of Julia's upcoming surgery and have been there for us with prayers and good wishes. A special thanks to Mrs. Dunn, Julia's beloved 2nd grade teacher, who has been so good to Julia. It's such a great feeling to know that so many people really care.

Just when I thought the world had stopped caring .......we have been blessed with a flock of angels. Julia will be fine and a great part of that is due to the support that she has received. The smiles and caring words have made me feel so much better and so reassured -- it is incredible. Yes, the logical mind knows that this is a routine procedure for these skilled physicians; but, as a parent it's one of the most difficult things you'll face.

When we first knew of Julia's ASD and spoke to her about it, naturally she was concerned. I told her like any Dad would that she would be fine and if it came down to it she could have my own heart. Julia said, "Thanks Daddy, but that would be a Grandpa heart, and I'd want a new one." Looking back, Dagmar and I waited for what seemed like a short period of time to start our family; but, it obviously may have not been soon enough for some as my now gray hair implies that I'm old!!

Thanks again for all of your support for Julia and her family. We greatly appreciate it.

Jim

No comments: